Sandsfoot Castle was built to protect shipping on the orders of Henry VIII on the shore of the safe anchorage of Portland Roads, now Portland Harbour. It is now the only English Heritage scheduled monument in Weymouth and Portland.
Over the years as a result of coastal erosion the castle fell into disrepair and in 1902 the ruins were purchased by Weymouth Corporation. The Tudor gardens that beautifully complement the gardens to this day were built and the the castle and gardens became a favourite leisure spot for locals. A grant from The Lottery Heritage Fund in 2010 saw major improvements to the castle with walkways and creative lighting installed to to make the ruins more accessible. A cafe has been built in the gardens in recent years complimenting this oasis of peace and tranquillity still much loved by locals. Events often take place here and it’s a lovely spot for a picnic.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.