The Dorset Festival of Sport marks the one year anniversary of Weymouth and Portland hosting the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic sailing events.
Residents and visitors to Weymouth will see the welcome return of the Weymouth and Portland Ambassadors who will provide information and guidance throughout Weymouth town during the 10-day festival (Saturday 27 July to Monday 5 August).
Ambassador Sue Stow from Weymouth said: “I was proud to be an Ambassador for Weymouth & Portland during the Olympics as it’s such a great area in which to live. We have a beautiful beach, vibrant harbours, breathtaking views and excellent restaurants. I’m looking forward to helping make 2013 a ‘Summer to Remember’ for our visitors.”
Volunteer Centre Dorset Deputy Manager Craig Womble, said: “We have had a fantastic response from Weymouth and Portland Ambassadors wanting to help the Dorset Festival of Sport who had such an amazing experience last year. “They will be along the Esplanade during the 10 day period to signpost, give advice and guidance and generally welcome visitors to Weymouth. “As part of the 2012 legacy we hope to provide a varied range of opportunities for volunteers and involve more groups and individuals as local ambassadors to support events in the local area.”
The 10 day programme includes:
- Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 July: Residents and visitors are being invited to have a go at a number of different sports on Weymouth Beach. These include: beach volleyball, beach tennis, table tennis as well as kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding taster sessions provided by Ecover The Blue Mile. A mobile skate park will also be on the Weymouth Pavilion forecourt for scooters and BMX bikes. 10am to 5pm both days
- Monday 29 July: To pay tribute to the Paralympic Games, a Disability Beach Festival will be happening on Weymouth Beach including seated volleyball and boccia. Disability Beach Festival 10am to 2pm. Open to all 2.30pm to 5pm.
- Tuesday 30 July: Youth football and rugby day. People will be able to watch youth football and rugby teams play throughout the day on Weymouth Beach.
- Wednesday 31 July: Weymouth College Summer of Fun – People can enjoy a day of water sports and youth team sports, such as rugby and football, along with a range of cultural activities including music, dance, theatre workshops and sand castle making by Weymouth College staff and students.
- Thursday 1 August: Battens Charity Volleyball Championship.
- Friday 2 to Sunday 4 August: The 30th RAF Weymouth Beach Classic championship. Top players from around Britain and Europe will take part in this exciting men’s and women’s 2-a-side sport. The event includes free grandstand seating, live commentary and is being filmed by Sky Sports.
- Monday 5 August: Fireworks display on Weymouth Beach at 9.30pm